- 1 beef Chuck 7-Bone Roast or Shoulder Roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press onto beef pot roast. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast. Pour off drippings.
- Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables; continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender. Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in cornstarch mixture and 1/2 teaspoon basil. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Carve pot roast. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Nutrition information per serving: 335 calories; 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 90 mg cholesterol; 278 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 36 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 3.8 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 38.9 mcg selenium; 8.5 mg zinc. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.